I didn’t want to spend a whole day writing an article but most times, I found myself not finishing an article of 2500 words in two days. It was frustrating to check my word count and find out I was 450 words below. That was my ordeal as a beginner.
As a beginner writing 1000 words or more can be challenging. You are being advised to write 100 or 200 for a start. Good advice take it but…
What if you find yourself in a competition that requires you to produce more words within a short period?
Or you impressed a client and he wants you to write more words in a few minutes?
You don’t want to sit all day on a desk scribbling 1000 words when you have little time to polish and produce a result.
HERE ARE EIGHT STEPS TO HELP YOU WRITE MORE WORDS IN FEW MINUTES
- Cl̲a̲r̲i̲t̲y̲ ̲o̲f̲ ̲th̲o̲u̲g̲h̲t̲: Before you dot on that blank page, have a clear thought on what you want to write on, who you are writing for and why you are writing it. You don’t want your message misunderstood or sent to the wrong audience. Avoid stray thoughts that come in between your writing, attend to it later. Having clarity of thought gives your writing focus and direction.
- S̲k̲e̲l̲e̲t̲o̲n̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲r̲ ̲i̲d̲e̲a̲s̲: When you need to write something fast, create an outline of what each of the paragraphs will go into detail about. It helps in paragraph structuring and easy flow of ideas.
- D̲o̲n̲’t̲ ̲o̲v̲e̲r̲ ̲r̲e̲s̲e̲a̲r̲c̲h̲: the time consumed while researching can be used to put down 100 words on paper. Research is important as it envelopes your mind to more ideas. However, don’t overdo it, Learn to write down something from your head first.
- U̲n̲p̲l̲u̲g̲ ̲f̲r̲o̲m̲ ̲s̲o̲c̲i̲a̲l̲ ̲m̲e̲d̲i̲a̲: oh dear Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and WhatsApp lover. What did you say again? Just a click, but you ended up commenting and replying messages. Turn off your internet connection; if you must turn it on, get an Applocker to avoid distractions.
- H̲a̲v̲e̲ ̲a̲ ̲d̲e̲a̲d̲l̲i̲n̲e̲: Knowing you have less than an hour or a day puts you on the edge. Meeting up deadlines for your client is one way to build goodwill. Therefore, set deadlines before the given deadline.
- E̲d̲i̲t̲ ̲a̲f̲t̲e̲r̲: Your grammar checker is editing as you write leaving all those squiggly red lines that annoy, changing names spelt correctly, distracting the flow of your work. Listen to me, turn it off! Try writing seamlessly for minutes ignoring all those red lines. Editing should come after writing. It gives you a fresh start to look at it again. Stopping to edit can cause loss of ideas. Don’t focus on making it perfect focus on making it available.
- Pr̲a̲c̲t̲i̲c̲e̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲r̲ ̲w̲r̲i̲t̲i̲n̲g̲/t̲y̲p̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲s̲p̲e̲e̲d̲: If your brain creates 100 words per seconds and you could only write 20, it becomes a challenge. Our brain works faster than our hands, therefore, flowing at the same pace as your brain can be tasking but not impossible. One way to get better at anything is to practice. Learn to write faster if you write better on a notepad. Practice your typing speed on the computer. There are lots of fun games that help eg Mavis. When I started typing it helped me. Your phone keyboard should be easy to use if you type on your phone.
- C̲h̲a̲l̲l̲e̲n̲g̲e̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲r̲e̲w̲a̲r̲d̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲r̲s̲e̲l̲f̲: this is an interesting one to do! Challenge yourself to write 1000 words in an hour or two. Set your time and stick to it. if you beat the time reward yourself. It helps you to know your capabilities.
Please note that writing quickly doesn’t mean compromising on writing well.
🎆 BONUS STEPS 🎆
One of the easiest ways to become a better writer is to read. Reading birth ideas and enhances your insight base about your subject of interest. Also, it improves your writing speed.
- RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB
Find out which writing tools work best for you (pen and paper, typewriter, phone, computer).
Do you write on the phone? Don’t go through the hassle of losing your work. Get a Google doc app. It has a great feature that automatically saves your work as you write. You can also write on Ms word or WPS. Click on review for word count.
Voice typing is one great way I put my ideas down when I am too lazy to type or busy, then I get back to edit. Another benefit of voice typing: it helps improves your spoken words. Try voice typing once in a while especially when your fingers numb. Use Google Text-To-Speech.
- HAVE A WRITING SPACE AND TIME
Create a comfortable place to write. Schedule a time when you won’t be disturbed. Tell your kids and family you’ve got work to do and need concentration. Staying in a quiet environment gives a clear head to what you are writing.
- BE CONSISTENT
Writing consistently is a habit you must keep if you want to become a better writer.
One thing with fast writers is they get more done in a few hours, days, or months. Imagine given a job where you are meant to write four blog posts in a day and a minimum of 1000 words or you are hired to ghostwrite a book and submit within two months and an agreement that the number of words you produce equals your payment. Wouldn’t you improve on your speed?
🖊️ T͙h͙e͙ b͙e͙n͙e͙f͙i͙t͙s͙ o͙f͙ w͙r͙i͙t͙i͙n͙g͙ f͙a͙s͙t͙ 🖊️
▪ A fast writer saves time and makes more money.
▪ Increases productivity.
▪Have great reviews if the work is accurate. Building goodwill is a must for every writer.
To know your correct writing speed. Take two topics one that you are highly familiar with and another fairly new. In 5 minutes, check how many words you can write. Keep them as a baseline.
Congratulations!! You just read a thousand words in 6 minutes.
Now try to write 1000 words on any topic of your choice.
Share in the comments quick tips on how you write 1000 words in a few minutes.
Article written by Cynthia Ogochukwu.
Cynthia Ogochukwu is a creative content writer. She is passionate about helping writers and brands master the art of writing. In addition, she writes unique and research-driven content that captions and convert.